Sunday, March 11, 2012

Week 3

I just finished the first draft of the script for the first book! Whoo! It took me several weeks to turn an outline into a script and it feels like an accomplishment. Lots more work to do, but I'm getting closer to the drawing part~

Here are some more sources of inspiration I scanned in since my last post. Again, there are possibly spoilers:

Ranma 1/2 by Rumiko Takahashi

I really like that tree, and the clear illustration in the second panel of how high up Ranma is without even drawing the ground.



Children of the Sea by Daisuke Igarashi

This comic is goooooorgeouuuuus. I love the loose, frenetic line art, shadows composed of hatching, and the successful combination of this style with halftones. I'm afraid you have to draw a lot of crappy comic pages before you can pull off this style, but I'm tempted to try.





Dragon Ball by Akira Toriyama

I really like Toriyama's effective simplification of things like boats and motorcycles.




Naruto by Masashi Kishimoto

I like the balance of black and white on this page; there's minimal toning and everything you need to know about weight and distance from the viewer is communicated by the line art.

''

Pluto by Naoki Urasawa

I looooove Urasawa's ability to draw tons of different face shapes from any angle and wearing any expression. He's a fantastic storyteller, which is difficult to show in sample, but he's just fantastic at choosing his shots.



No comments:

Post a Comment