Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Week 1

It's ti~~~me! :D I wrapped up a big project in December, and another last Monday. I have a combination of savings and confirmed near-future jobs to last me through the end of the year, and barring unforeseeable circumstances I am going to spend the better part of this year making Over the Surface book 1.

Right now I am working off of an approved outline and trying to finish the script. Writing doesn't come naturally to me yet, so I break it up with a lot of doodling and reading and listening to good writers talk about craft. On my ideal timeline, I was supposed to send off the first copy of the script by the end of 2011...! x_x
I hope to develop into a disciplined writer through practice.



One thing I'll have to decide pretty soon is which art tools I will use and what aesthetic I want to go for. Most of the comics I've picked off of my bookshelf for inspiration are Japanese and have thin line art and halftones. I'll play around with test pages after the script is done and see what works the best.

That's all for now. Wish me luck writing something great!

3 comments:

  1. Good luck - can't wait to see the finished product! You'll be posting teasers as this goes along, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah, I'll post as much as possible from the development without spoiling plot points or upsetting my editor. :P

      Delete
  2. Just stopped in to see what was going on and read this - can't wait!

    And it WILL be great; you've got a terrific story and your artwork just keeps getting stronger.

    I like your idea of going back and giving your world a little more breadth; one of the things I wondered about your original version was Ava's air service and her potential adversaries. You'd expect a gearhead like Ava to talk about the other aircraft of her times, too, the way fighter fanboys (and girls) tend to; "The new Faucon climbs faster than the Frankish Cigogne and turns inside the Saxonian Bristol fighter!", that sort of thing. It'll be fun to get a little wider picture of the setting for her story.

    Looking forward to reading Ava's new (and reworked old) adventures!

    ReplyDelete